Monday, September 10, 2012

The Grand Adventure

The idea of having a picture before me (or in my head) and forcing the painting to look like it has never really been my cup of tea. Though that struggle may be very rewarding in many ways, I have always preferred the adventure of not knowing where the journey ends, at all. When I paint, I'd like the paintings to surprise me, and they often do – occasionally even in a positive way.

The most adventurous thing I know is to walk a forest path without knowing where it ends. Those who did that in a time when we knew less about the world must have found it fantastic. The possible imaginary outcome of following a trail today is somewhat limited compared to what it was like in the middle ages, or even earlier. Just the notion of being in the woods, not knowing for sure, which kinds of beasts (or trolls?) lives there, is thrilling. I'm typically very satisfied with beholding the variation of plants wherever my steps take me, but the element of surprise is certainly a nice bonus.

Generally though, I think adventure is a state of mind, much more than exotic events and locations. It is an openness, I feel – an excitement of experience which comes when one is able to not take things for granted, and dare let go of control. Adventure is about being present and not constantly anticipating the next moment. When there is no plan, all moments look fresh. Well, something like that, anyway.

This one may be a little saturated on information, but I enjoy it anyway. It is 'The Grand Aventure'.

'The Grand Adventure' - Acrylics on Canvas - 100 x 81 cm - Niklas J Brandow
'The Grand Adventure' - Acrylics on Canvas - 100 x 81 cm - Niklas J Brandow (Sold)

Clicking the image for a closer encounter is highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment