Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Destiny of Color

Occasionally, as I give myself over to the brush and the canvas, something remarkable happens. From stroke one it feels as if the brush (Sorry God, no credit this time) knows what is about to happen. It feels as if it has a plan that I'm completely unaware of. I just allow it to move about, and do my best to keep up with where it is going. Be it some unconscious idea of mine, or other more mysterious powers involved.... I have no clue. What I can tell you for sure, is that I feel disconnected to what takes place before my eyes.

It is not like some spirit is forcing my hand about, but as I allow it to move freely, it surprises me at every turn. From stroke one, it seems to set its plan in motion. Yes, I realise this may sound big-time crazy, but I don't really mind. I'm just very fascinated by it, and it is also a way of introducing this next painting, which painted itself, all the way to the last stroke. It is simpler and not as dense as much of my other work. Perhaps even a bit sketchy. Still, I'm sure it is finished.

Sadly, I didn't here no voice telling me what to name the piece, so I had to settle with 'Where Sunlight Gathers'. I hope it will suffice.

'Where Sunlight Gathers' - Acrylics on Canvas' - 100 x 81 cm - Niklas J Brandow
'Where Sunlight Gathers' - Acrylics on Canvas' - 100 x 81 cm - Niklas J Brandow


I have heard the Surrealists experimented with automatic writing and so forth, and I'm sure most experienced artist have had some hightly intuitive or automatic moments, in their crafts. One can guess that, when the conscious awareness and thinking processes take a break, the subconscious and/or fully unconscious mind takes over (fully or partly). We're all great artists while we dream at night.

If this piece is better than my other paintings, is up to the beholder. For me, it is one of the more mysterious pictures "I" have made. I hope you enjoy it. As always, click to enlarge.

No comments:

Post a Comment